Skip to main content
1:30 pm
that. of the enough jefferson did absorb some of this radical feeling in france. before he left he sat down a plan and told people, he told thomas paine and william short and a number of babel -- abolitionists that when he got back to america he was going to train slaves and settle them on land as sharecroppers in the '70s that they would become good citizens and free people in the united states but when he got back to the united states things change. >> you can watch this and other programs online at booktv.org. >> next on booktv, greg gutfield fox news's the five says liberals use manufactured our rage and artificial tolerance to deflect criticism of their political and social ideology. the author contends what he deems smart in tolerance should
1:31 pm
be used to counter liberal argument. it is about an hour. >> thank you. the first library i have been in where i haven't been asked to leave. i am not kidding, actually. i will get to that library joke in a minute. that was going to be my intro but during the signing nymex so many nice people when i was sitting there and are missing their going what would it be like if all of your fans were jerks? wouldn't that tell you something? if all of your fans -- i can't swear in the reagan library but if they were jerks, what if you were bill locker -- but so i am signing books here and a young
1:32 pm
man give is me a kind of unicorn. you can see that. is the smallest unicorn i have ever seen but it is a unicorn and that is all that matters. they you think sean hannity gets unicorn's? doesn't have time. bill o'reilly, maybe doing a book called killing unicorns. i get the unicorns. they don't get the unicorns. how many people are fans of rabbi? all right. this hole unicorn thing got out of hand. the reason why i was talking about unicorns at the beginning of the show is i thought was odd and weird for a middle-aged man to be obsessed with something a teenage girl would be. i thought as a conservative libertarian you would be interesting to create narrative that would kind of throw off the
1:33 pm
left. if you assign certain kinds of behaviors to yourself they don't know what to make of you. i learned this when i was at the huffington post that i created this false story behind me that i lived with a flight instructor named scott who was never home and there would always be some weird sense in the basement. i wrote this because the left wasn't used to dealing with somebody who was messing with them. in the world of left and right, right was always the dean from animal house. they delighted in that. my goal in life is to switch that. i don't need any help because the left has become over the last 30 years the person that is trying to stab fun out of your life and use tolerance in order
1:34 pm
to outlaw any behavior you might have. i talked -- made that joke about being thrown out of the library, i made that joke because it is a good example of what the book is about. we do -- it doesn't matter, i am probably making it up. there was a story about how they were having a problem with homeless people looking at pornography in libraries and a solution in 1915s would have been we don't have the internet so it doesn't exist. that is a terrible joke. my point being common-sense in the 50s and 60s would have been you throw the person out but that is not how it works these days. in the age of tolerance you have to tolerate or your child has to tolerate person using the internet in the library to look at pornography. their solution was to create
1:35 pm
screen guards. that was fair solution. rather than just doing the right thing which this get out, you pervert. to believe me, i have heard that many times. it works. it got me out of john stossel's apartment. but then he asked me to come back in. we had coffee. the big point, there are a lot of points but the big point is everything sensible becomes mean and everything that becomes justified under the rubric of tolerance so the joke about taking your pants off in the library is now tolerable, saying i don't want that happening is narrow minded if we are in a world -- outmoded, irrelevant,
1:36 pm
bad. i want to talk about the fact that i met the reagan library which is amazing. of all the presidents that i met, he is my favorite. [applause] >> he is the only president i have met. i want to tell you how that happened. i don't know many people to have met him and i was lucky. in 1987-'88 i worked for the american spectator which was run by bob gerald. an interesting guy. for i went to the drugstore lot picking up mysterious things. i won't get into this further. 5 with paid, my take-home pay was $360 for two weeks. i lived with two elderly ladies on george mason drive in arlington, va.. i had nothing.
1:37 pm
when somebody complains about tried to find a job by 65 living with two old ladies on george mason drive in arlington, virginia and they invited their older sister to live with them. their work three. anyway. ronald reagan a year ago to -- go to my boss's house, what do you need? i am mulling the lawn and washing the windows and hoping over time i am doing all of this stuff that sooner or later he will say stick around and meet the president and sooner or later after days and days of preparation that is what happened. the high point, there are a couple high points. one of them was when the bomb sniffer dogs urinated on my boss's briefcase. to this day he thinks it was me.
1:38 pm
it might have been. the great thing about dogs, they don't live long enough to tell stories. the unicorn 03 year. the dinner i often tell people i shared an intimate dinner with ronald reagan. that is what i tell people and it is true. it is true. after the dinner was over i actually took his dinner and went into the kitchen and i ate it. i am not kidding. technically i shared an intimate chicken dinner with ronald reagan. the embarrassing part about meeting him is how you have this amazing opportunity to screw it up. i was in the living room in virginia and watching this insane motorcade coming up the street and all the neighbors called side drinking, this is a huge deal, even if they hate ronald reagan which they probably did because he is the
1:39 pm
world's greatest president, he is no jimmy carter, they are all waiting, all of a sudden -- i am out there, in the living room wearing a cheap suit, and i am watching this motorcade come in going in must be coming in and turn around and he is standing there, an entire decollate. this person in a reagan mask, that is how you feel when you see somebody like that and think it is somebody -- who is this in a reagan mask? but it was ronald reagan and he was drinking a screwdriver. there wasn't any -- secret service people there. he was standing there. and the photographer there. unless they had some switch.
1:40 pm
i did what i would normally -- i went up and said hello but i didn't. i said -- [mumbling] -- and he looked at me and probably -- it is nice that they have those people come to these dinners. how compassionate. anyway, i ended up in the kitchen and i ate his dinner and talked to secret service guys, someone who played piano, it is fitting i am here. i think i have something in common with ronald reagan. he was governor of california. i lived in california. he was once a democrat. i once bought a counterfeit watch in times square.
1:41 pm
same thing. everybody makes mistakes. as an actor he starred oppose a three foot harry chimp named bonds so, i work with bob beckel. no, no, no, that was cheap. that was cheap. the only reason i i can make the joke about bob is he is a lovable guy. are we going to make this speech about bob? i will. i got nothing to do. i will be here all night. bob is a great guy. he will say why did you defend me? bob is a great guy. bob performs a service. i should shut up. i should just quit. another thing i have in common
1:42 pm
with ronald reagan, he championed trickle-down economics. i have a weak bladder. june 12th, 1987, he told mchale gorbachev to tear down this wall. i like vodka. he called russia an evil empire. every day i call dana trio an evil person. i know you think she's adorable and she talks about that dog. why is. you guys actually think jasper is a dog? that is an armenian man that she hired as an indentured servant and wearing a fur cost to molly does around central park is take pictures of this sweaty man all over central park. discussing. somebody has to tell the truth. that is what i am here for.
1:43 pm
leslie ronald reagan was a charismatic leader who influenced millions of people, turning freedom and individuality around the world and i think i and all of you are products of that. that is not a joke. i should stick to the joke thing. all of you look at me like what was that about? so the book is kind of born from the reagan era. it is about people who pretend to be tolerant when in fact they are not at all in use tolerance as a weapon to shut you up. who was the first real target? ronald reagan. what was he portrayed as in the media? what kept you from talking about low taxes or free-market was being described as cold, evil, the dad that never had you. he was the dad that never hood you. he didn't hate the poor, he ate
1:44 pm
the for. the consequence of this, republicans always have to deal with this and we don't really buy back. we are called -- we don't know what to do about it except continually make the economy work while we let the liberals destroyed it and then come every two years and fix it. but right now common sense, common sense is viewed as in tolerance. the nicest thing you can say to somebody no matter who it is is get a job. that is the nicest thing you can say. when you're walking down the street and there's a guy panhandling and you say get a job your complimenting him. you are saying you have the will and the means to get a job. but now these days if you save that is seen as a mean and in tolerance to assume people have the power to act of their own
1:45 pm
volition. that is where we are at, that we can't think of ourselves and assume a person can take care of themselves, you are a big debt. i never bought into the compassionate conservative thing. remember that? still playing with the unicorn. the half fell off. the compassionate conservative, being a conservative is being compassionate, takes the extra step to realize you believe in something that is better for them than giving them something. calling somebody a compassionate conservative is like calling somebody a naive liberal. the biggest offenders in the world of tolerance, the people who are going to be tolerant and blaming you. they don't realize tolerance only works when you talk to people you disagree with bleated doesn't work when you just use among your friends.
1:46 pm
it doesn't work that way. is like having a party by yourself which i am doing at the holiday inn later. they travel in packs. examples are protesters, activist groups and malaria. to them everything is mean. everything you do is mean. language is mean. you can call terrorism terrorism. you call it work place violence. you can call terrorism terrorism. you called a spontaneous mob because you might hurt somebody's feelings. we are a sensitized nations where feelings ever thinking. wealth is considered -- if you work for a living, that is mean, achievement is considered mean because somehow what you achieved was at the expense of somebody else. thinking about well for a minute to jump ahead, drives me nuts all these celebrities calling for an increase in taxes.
1:47 pm
so i thought about it for awhile and looked at their careers. a lot of them over a span of a decade got into the 20s and $40 million range salaries and their the ones saying raise taxes on people like me but people like them and not people like them. people in the 60s who worked for 35 years. if you save this new sound like you are defending the rich but they are throwing the ridge under the bus. there's a guy in his 60s 2 has five kids and a couple grand kids who worked for that money. you didn't. you are an actor. i would say hold your applause until the end but i kind of like it. examples of this phony tolerance and what it does is the way the media portrays the tea party and occupy wall street. i could have written a whole book on this and i thought about
1:48 pm
doing that. one was the tea party, sanctified if that is a word, excellent. if you look at the tea party, hundreds of thousands of people, no arrests. look at occupy wall street, thousands of arrests. the proportion of weirdness and violence cannot be questioned. i say this about the tea party. they don't throw chairs through windows because they own the chair and the window. occupy wall street and the tea party are a great example of ownership versus public use. you don't move in the driveway you own. occupy wall street is everywhere. that is the problem. they created acres of unsanitary conditions to the point that
1:49 pm
even businessmen who were sympathetic to them were like get these freaks out of here. they can't even take care of their own bodily functions and they want >> the government. if you can't p you are not changing anything, you stupid stupid jerks. anyway. the chapter -- two chapters on that. i focus on how the media demonized the tea party and lionized occupy wall street. i will get into why they did it later in the third hour of the speech. other areas, everybody has a border but if you talk about a border you are a racist. grant has a border. they don't deserve one but they have one. our military is treated on
1:50 pm
campuses with in tolerance. if you organize a care package delivery to afghanistan there will be professors and students and activists groups who say why are we sending stuff to people who care -- kill babies. i don't get it. i don't have anything beyond those people are idiots because they allow people like bill heirs to teach. they give accolades to terrorists yet they give no respect to our troops. there's a chapter in my book on that. conservative women, any -- you have the toughest job because feminists hate you and they go out of their way to demonize you even though you are often stronger than they are because you're rejecting government dependents.
1:51 pm
feminists embrace government has daddy and you don't do that. that is kind of cool. language like -- completely replaced in the language of tolerance through political correctness. smoking is the last bastion of in tolerance for a lot of people. they see me as a cigarette tree. they go i don't smoke and they are drunk and can i have a cigarette? shut up. a lot of this is done through what are called the tyranny of the school. pool from fall. we live in a culture where everybody wants to be cool. it is important to be accepted by teenagers. how did this happen? the fact is i used the phrase teenagers to describe everybody from 18 to 38 because that is what we have. they're obsessed with media, pop culture, people in the entertainment and academic world, will do anything to be
1:52 pm
cool. schools as traditional success is bad. is an attack on their parents. it is always there to something about dad didn't hug me enough. i don't want to be like him. it becomes a phony rebellion where good and evil become relative. ease to the good was good and evil with evil but cool makes it so that evil is all right. you see that in movies. you ask an actor who they would rather play, charles manson or mitt romney, they would say charles manson because they get the little swastika on my forehead, a really great role, hollywood romanticizes evil and they have a hard time pointing out the good in things. i remember growing up, there were stories about rock stars trashing hotel rooms and how cool it was and how rebellious it was but somebody had to clean
1:53 pm
that up. i wonder if these rock star as more liberal and left-wing ever think about the little guy, the stuff they have to deal with when they are getting high or getting wasted and breaking things. the ultimate hypocrisy. they can pretend to be a rebel when in fact they are hurting the regular guy they are championing. i used to be -- a time -- used to be a time when being a celebrity was supposed to be edgy, your suppose to seek truth and power but now they french kiss it. look at john stuart. regional rally making fun of the tea party as if that was rebellious all he was doing was speaking truth to power to people who were speaking truth to power. was the tea party who were rebels and he was making fun of it. his rally was called a rally -- he wasn't talking about liberals, he missed talking about tea party people that went out for the first time in their
1:54 pm
lives, went out and did something. wasn't that supposed to be elevated by the media? isn't that what they talk about? getting involved? isn't that what it is all about? not when you are a liberal. never mind. then it is funny. your old and stupid and silly. we hang out with the occupy wall street people. are always as a liberal who would you rather cheri bus seat with, a tea party your or occupy wall streeters? you know exactly what they say. they live. i skipped ahead. cool in my opinion is based on the david and goliath narrative. big is bad, small is good. big things like america, the military, business, breakfast buffets are seen as evil and people and make fun of them. in europe they make and how fat
1:55 pm
americans are. small things, however, are seen as somewhat heroic. terror groups are seen as freedom fighters because they are small. 0 w s because of a tiny faction is seen as cool. activism, dana terry noe -- the media embraces david over goliath even if david is evil. if america were a house be left would root for the termites. i used that before. i thought it worked. i am not trying to say that the left are bad people. i am just saying they aren't people. by the way -- no, no, not true. i used that, why i say that is i use that because that is what they do. it is time we throw it back at them even if it is a joke.
1:56 pm
they are people. they are people. they are some of my favorite people. they don't own the turf that is ridiculed. why is the cool versus on cool thing important? the reason people like barack obama is he is cool. he beat a war hero, a community organizer, how did that happen? because he was cool. it was cool to vote for him. the culture embraces fake coolness over real achievement. kids would rather play astronaut than actually be one. is more interesting to the famous doing something, but i will say this. i am -- there is a big bright spot to president obama being reelected, if he had lost he would be back for another four years and 45% gray which makes
1:57 pm
him more trustworthy. we are uncool. that is the way we are. i don't believe that. i look at our message. what is our message? we like to build things. making things is cool. we like to own stuff. that is good. competition is awesome. a liberal view is self-esteem is better. better to build self-esteem without competition. the highest incidents of self-esteem can be found in prison. i think i made that up. it is one of those things you read and repeat over and over again. if you ever meet a criminal they believe they can commit crimes because they deserve to. why not? i deserve this, i don't have to work for, i take it. our alternative is competition makes you a better person, you win. unity over division. what we used to call patriotism is cool. we live in a country where everybody is governed by their
1:58 pm
identity which is not cool. far more cool to say you are an american. we need to find a way to articulate that again. the reason you came here is this is an awesome place. here is why it is awesome and the exceptional. what is not cool is a dependency which is gaining ground, the junior lifestyle if you remember the website obama campaigned about that showed a woman's life being taken care of by the government, somehow that is okay, the idea that don't try too hard, don't worry about it, we will be there for you. how did that get to the cool? government intrusion is not cool but it is cooled to them. they stay save out of my bedroom but want to get on your plate. they want to tell you what you are eating.
1:59 pm
i just bought cigarettes. they got rid of light. what is wrong with america? for them when school is separatism. this is the worst part and it is born out of the self-esteem movement. describing yourself not by what you have done but what you are. this is the most dangerous thing because it feeds into -- the one is happy defined by your an identity, you are only happy when you are defined by your achievements. in your heart you know when you get up to work, we are creating a mass of people to be proud what they are. having said that i am rather short. in some we have replaced what was exceptional country with a tolerant country. it is why president obama went around the world. not because america was exceptional but wanted them to know we want to be liked and
2:00 pm
told we are not so bad. that never works. we see that now with the arabs spring. the arab nightmare. in closing i always like to say even though i don't know what i'm going to say, in closing the cool are in the driver's seat right now and we are in the passenger seat. tool like james mansfield. ..
2:01 pm
>> once every four years, this is like their romance novel. running for office is their romance novel. they are into it. their cars run for office. when you see them, they have bumper stickers. it's like they want you to know how they feel all the time. going off topic here, i was interviewed by a knoxville paper today, one of the worst interviews ever. it was awful. so the first -- she did some kind of softball question, and then she started asking isn't your book just what fox news says? and i go, can you give me specifics? [laughter] there was, like, 40 seconds of silence. [laughter] i go, no, if you could just tell me what you're talking about. she goes, bashing liberals. actually, that's not what the book is about, do you have specifics? and it was clear that she hadn't read the book.s isow you can't e
2:02 pm
with a liberal when they don't even want to show up to do their damn homeworker. [laughter] but anyway, i kept going after her and kept going, okay, why do you say these things? she keeps going -- this is a journalist -- i feel like when you say these things and i feel like, blah, blah, blah. [laughter] so i'm going, okay, i think only liberals say "like." [laughter] i might be wrong. but i said to her, i go, you know, it's weird. right now you keep saying how you feel as opposed to think, and don't you think that's strange when you're interviewing an author about a book and you keep saying how you feel? isn't that weird? and she didn't have an hasn't for me. [laughter] well, we're seeing each other later. [laughter] [applause] she sounded cute. no, i'm kidding. she was -- it was weird, though, so what was funny was she asked me, she said to me what would you, you know, you transition from magazines to tv.
2:03 pm
what do they have in common? and so i said, well, you know, um, the most important thing when you're a reporter or anything is to prepare. [laughter] have a list of questions, read up on the person, perhaps read the book. [laughter] anything. magazines, books, that's what you do. and i don't think she even knew that i was talking to her. [laughter] really good. i go, this would be good advice, this would be really good advice for a journalist. [laughter] anyway -- so like i said, the cool are driving the car, we're in the passenger seat. the message, the message is great, our message is always great, free markets, free minds, individual freedom, working hard. can't go wrong with that. people who come to this country come for that reason. we're just not that great at or ticklating -- articulating at it. we need to find a messenger who
2:04 pm
can do it, who can speak it in a way that, i don't know, is more fun, more interesting? i don't know. you've got two years, so start your engines. [applause] thanks. >> well, greg has been kind enough to set aside a few minutes for some questions -- >> no, i didn't. [laughter] >> okay. i'll be happy to take any questions you might have. [laughter] if i could just ask, we have people in the aisles, wandering the aisles with microphones, and if you could just wait until it gets in your hand, because you're on tv. right here. >> i was just curious, do you see maybe you, or do you see anybody that could possibly maybe not replace andrew breitbart, but maybe step up and continue his message, kind of
2:05 pm
fighting back? >> i was -- >> not fighting back, maybe that's the wrong word, but, you know -- >> doing what andrew did. >> yeah. [laughter] >> andrew was too big for this planet, and i think that what's interesting is i've met a lot of people that work at breitbart and people that i work with on the shows. it's kind of like in a weird way there's about seven or eight people that need to do what he does, and they are doing it. and i think you're seeing it. there's so many people that were affected by breitbart and by his death. i compared it when i was at the funeral to a big bang. all these -- it sounds weird, but all these pieces of andrew went everywhere, and everybody walked away with a little piece of him. and, you know, gavin who's on my show a lot, red eye, you know, keeps doing this what would breitbart do, you know, in this situation. he had a shirt made that said so, because breitbart when he'd get in a fight with a liberal, they'd go, so -- [laughter] and it always works.
2:06 pm
and you can't replace him, but a lot of people together are, i think. over here? good question. [applause] >> i was just wondering, you're one of the few conservative voices who does really well at humor, and i'm wondering if you have an opinion on why that is and if we can get better at humor and at, like, speaking truth in that way? >> i don't -- some of the funniest people i know, most of the funniest people i know are conservatives, but they're not, they're just not -- they're doing other things. they are involved in business, you know, it never occurred to them to become comedians, you know what i mean? and i think it's a weird with thing because most of the comedians that i meet when i do red eye aren't liberal, it's just that they don't speak their politics. there are a lot more out there than you think, but they've got
2:07 pm
a paycheck, and they don't want to get screwed. and that's the reality, is that a lot of people just don't like to say what they feel. and the most successful comedians always are grounded in common sense, and that's generally my opinion of conservative values. i didn't answer your question. [laughter] we're still meeting later. [laughter] >> greg, over here in -- >> in the last election, it seemed as though many of our candidates had a tin ear and didn't understand the constituents that they were speaking to. made blunders that were exaggerated and amplified by the media. >> right. >> nonetheless, blunders. how can we get our candidates to at least understand hip if not be hip? >> you know what? i would argue that they don't necessarily have to be hip. i don't think ronald reagan was hip. you know what's funny, if people
2:08 pm
talk about ronald ray began to this day -- reagan to this day of how conservative he was, he raised taxes, this and that, but for some reason he exemplified what was special about the american idea. and i do think that, i mean, no one would ever describe ronald reagan as hip, but he could articulate something that nobody else could. i had a strong feeling that mitt was getting there after the first debate, and i saw it when he said that one line like i've been doing this for 25 years, and i have no idea what you're talking about. [laughter] [applause] like, whoa, that was an amazing line. his mistake, and i said this over and over again, why did he drop libya? i don't know why. he got scared after the foley thing, and then i think that, you know, he had a glimpse of what he could do and the aggression and that stuff, and maybe he was too nice a guy. but i agree with you, i think like when you remember back in
2:09 pm
the primary and there were 13 people, by the way, and i bet you can't name them all. because i sat around trying to name them but there were 13 candidates and not including -- [laughter] that guy. you liked parts of them, but you didn't like all of them. that was the problem. i remember at the huffington post when i was writing there, they were going crazy over barack obama in 2004, 2005 i guess was when it started. and i was looking at him and i thought they had every reason to be excited, because he's the most progressive candidate they've ever had, and it's a perfect package. and it's like it's going to happen, i'm an optimistment i think that romney was almost there, but he blew it at the end. >> right over here.
2:10 pm
>> [inaudible] >> um, be a happy warrior. you know what i mean? a lot of people get down, but you can't get down. the great thing about liberalism is that they always screw up. [laughter] [applause] basically, basically, when a liberal is in power, it's like when the parents go away on vacation -- [laughter] and you come back, and you come into the apartment or the house, and it's like you can tell there was something happening here. [laughter] and you've got to get somebody to come in and clean it up, and that's usually a conservative. >> back here. >> hi, greg. i just want to on behalf of everybody thank you to coming to california and being here. >> my pleasure. [cheers and applause] thank you. >> i'm a red eye junkie. we tape it, we watch it every morning, we love the show. >> thank you. >> i just want to thank for being a voice for people like us. i mean, we're standing in line
2:11 pm
and people were sad about the election, but there's that good feeling that the one voice that makes us laugh -- and you are the will rogers/mark twain of our generation, and i'm serious because you're great. [applause] so thank you. >> i think of myself more like shania twain, but okay. [laughter] >> over here. >> hi, greg. thank you for coming. >> my pleasure. >> both you and i are not so tall, but that's okay, we're big in spirit. >> i think i'm a little taller than you are. >> yeah, you are. everybody's a little taller than me. >> thanks for bringing it up though. [laughter] do you have any questions asides from my height? >> i do. [laughter] i was watching "the five" the other night, and i'm wondering if you got an avalanche of e-mails. you were talking to your group, and you said you wanted to use the phrase "fiscal cliff."
2:12 pm
and you, and you slipped and said something else that you won't say, but i just wandered if anybody -- wondered if anybody caught it besides me. >> a lot of people did. [laughter] okay, if you do two shows a day, that's going to happen. and, by the way, i'm not even sure what i said. [laughter] but there are, there is two versions of it. [laughter] there's one that's profane, and then there's one that's really biological. [laughter] so we will just -- you know what? it was such an obvious slip of the tongue -- [laughter] this is the reagan library, people. [laughter] make me sick. [laughter] your minds. >> real quick, we'll go up here on the balcony. >> hi. i and my young boys are a big fan of yours. i have my 13 and 10-year-old watching you every day. >> oh, thanks. where are you?
2:13 pm
>> i'm up here. >> way -- [laughter] >> oh. great, where? oh. [laughter] >> actually, when i told them i was coming to see you, they wanted to come too. they're big fans. >> oh. so you put them in the closet? [laughter] i mean, that's perfectly fine. you're a terrible mother. [laughter] for coming here and leaving your kids alone -- >> yeah, well, duct tape. >> duct tape works. >> yes. [laughter] believe me, they've used it for many things. >> yeah. you know that's why they invented it. they couldn't call it kid face tape. [laughter] >> no. >> because that would have, you would have been in trouble. so they called it duct tape. >> i have five boys -- >> oh, congratulations. >> -- many more uses for duct tape than you can imagine. [laughter] my question is what can we do to start breaking this liberal grip on the term "racist"?
2:14 pm
>> you have to mock it. that is the -- by the way, that is, you know you're getting close to the truth when somebody is calling you a racist. because it means that that's their last arrow that they have, and you just have to laugh at them, and you have to mock them. unless, of course, you really are a racist. [laughter] i want to make it clear, racist is bad. being called a racist when you're not, also bad. it's also bad. it can ruin your life. it can ruin your career. and the left does it with -- is it without or with impunity? >> with. >> i should read more. [laughter] i might have -- i would have said -- what is impunity? [laughter] probably not a word i should remember then. it's gone. [laughter] >> thank you. >> hi, greg. i think you've done a great job talking about a lot of the topics in your book, but i notice that you've avoided one topic that you've asked us to
2:15 pm
ask you about. >> what? >> hand of the poobah? >> yes. this is the, this is one of those things that the editors of the book go, uh, i think we should cut that. people who watch red eye know that i create fantastical fantasy worlds just because i can, and why shouldn't you? so in the book i bring up -- actually, it's kind of a personal story and, frankly, i'm offended that you would bring it up here. [laughter] things didn't work out between me and the panda. we write, but he doesn't write back, because he's a panda. [laughter] pandas can't write. i think. they might. >> hey, greg, it's nice meeting you, and thank you for coming to l.a. my question is i was talking with a few students who go to the uc system here -- >> i do that too. >> yeah, i know. [laughter]
2:16 pm
>> i have a van, i drive around. just asking 'em stuff. [laughter] >> my question is, he actually is a north korean sympathizer -- >> really? >> and it seems to me that there's a lot of indoctrination going on in college -- >> right. >> and there isn't a voice for libertarians or conservatives. >> no, it's true. by the way, he's a friend of yours? laugh. >> well, not anymore. [laughter] >> that's the irony of the academic world in the campus, is that it's supposed to be the land of open minds. but if you're conservative, the reality is it's the opposite. wow, that was a -- i had no metaphor. but it's because it's a self-perpetuating machine. the journalists that are there teach the future journalists who teach the future journalists. the only person, like if you get a gender studies degree, your only future is to teach gender
2:17 pm
studies. so that's the only way. the only way you can break that is to get into academia, but who wants to do that? well, you do for the students, but, i mean, other than that, other than that -- [laughter] the pay's all right. tenure's also a problem. we've got -- i mean, why are you allowed to be a crackpot on campus? because you can. you will not get fired. that's tenure. >> one question. are you going to continue to keep asking who pushed the video? >> yes. [applause] you're referring to the suzanne sommers exercise video. [laughter] that was stolen from my locker. [laughter] probably by shep. that's why he's in great shape. yeah, it's the only question that matters. and, by the way, everything about this story is going to come back to that. it's always, it's always who
2:18 pm
told you to do that and why. there was no evidence that there was a mob. and i always go back to one thing. it was a gut, it was a gut response about how you feel about america and how you feel about everyone else that maybe it is our fault, and maybe we should apologize even though there was no evidence. and they laughed at us when we did that. so -- >> over here. >> yes. >> [inaudible] miss her. >> yeah. >> what about your dad? what did he do? how did you grow up, and were your parents the influence on your politics? >> well, my dad's serving 25 to life. [laughter] actually, he's the winner of the family. [laughter] no, my dad passed away when i was 18 from cancer. so, well, that happens. you move on. good guy though. really good guy. thanks for asking, i guess.
2:19 pm
[laughter] >> right down in the middle here. [laughter] >> all right. i've always wondered, what happened to that liberal talk on pinch -- liberal talking pinch on red eye? >> wait, do you guys miss pinch? [laughter] all right, here was my feeling. actually, i thought it was a practical decision because of the fact that there were new people that were watching "the five," and it was being repeated, and they were coming into red eye. and i was thinking, okay, what if these folks are not used to red eye, and the first thing they see is a talking newspaper? [laughter] so the idea was to move the talking paper later into the show, but then we just forgot about it. that's the funny thing about stuff, is you forget. there's a lot of things that i'm supposed to do, but i just forgot to do it. one of them was pinch. pinch is somewhere in a closet,
2:20 pm
probably dying. [laughter] >> up here in the balcony. >> hi, i'm from tokyo, japan. i love you, and it's better than going to a george michael concert. [laughter] [cheers and applause] anyway -- >> wait, wait, wait. nobody goes to the george michael concert for the concert, they go for the after concert. [laughter] >> can i get a backstage pass? [laughter] um, anyway, i -- [laughter] >> every time i'm about to say something, i keep going, it's the reagan library. [laughter] i say that holding a unicorn. [laughter] >> anyway, i am a conservative working actress here in los angeles -- >> [inaudible] >> and surrounded by lefties. >> yes. >> and it is hard to meet nice conservative men like yourself -- [laughter]
2:21 pm
i was wondering if you could start fluffy -- [inaudible] dating web site. [laughter] >> you know -- >> it's going to be a hit. >> you know, i like the fact that you bring up fluffy mcnutter, because i think probably half -- who doesn't know what fluffy mcnutter is? fluffy mcnutter was a mascot that i created on red eye which is this crazy, fluffy thing that i -- this is what happens with tv, is one producer said, you know, i don't understand this fluffy mcnutter thing. [laughter] so they took him away from me. [laughter] much like gunner, my stunted half brother. they are starting these conservative, liberal dating sites -- >> i tried a hannity date by sean hannity, and there are like two guys in california. [laughter] [applause] help me!
2:22 pm
>> you know what? i'll send you some numbers, all right? [laughter] if one guy, if one guy shows up looking a lot like me in a disguise -- [laughter] and at a weird time of night -- >> does he do dishes? >> we will never eat. [laughter] [applause] >> hi, greg. first of all, thank you for the homage that you gave for andrew breitbart on the red eye. that was fantastic. [applause] now, we're conservative women, and we used to have a sense of humor, but every day we just have this not in our -- this knot in our stomach, and we'd like to get over us. we heard ben shapiro come and speak to us, and he said we've got to go after the media. that's fine for him, because he's got that forum, but what can we do sitting here and going
2:23 pm
home and doing normal lives? thank you. >> well, i mean, who's to stop you from mocking them wherever you want to go? i mean, look, i don't have -- i mean, i'm lucky. i can say whatever i want. you can tell me what to say. basically, that's what people do. they buy me and say you have to say this to bob. sometimes i actually say it. but the whole thing is to keep a good humor and know that you're right. that's the thing. you always have to know that you're right and not be shaken by idiots. [applause] >> we've got time for about two more questions. we'll go right here. >> i was wondering if you could tell people like myself who haven't allowed a liberal within 100 miles of him -- [laughter] how you can possibly influence those people. >> wait. basically, the only way. i mean, it sounds kind of arrogant, but i always feel like i never felt that left and right
2:24 pm
was a horizontal relationship. i always felt that it was vertical, that you start there and move up there. and it's not an original idea, actually. the old line is what is a conservative, it's a liberal who's been mugged. and i -- [laughter] i mean, i don't know who said that. it might have been william f. buckley. but it is, it is the truth. at a certain point, life mugs you in so many different ways. when you have kids, you're mugged by your kids. you're mugged by taxes. and that turns you into a liberal. -- a conservative. and a liberal, i was saying this earlier to somebody that, like, a liberal can hold on to their pant call ideas until it's their property, and then it's all of a sudden they're not sharing at all. and that's kind of, i think that's the evolution. i do worry that, you know, we're becoming part of a society where we believe our government should be this all-caring being. i believe the government should help people in need, but i think we're establishing that the government should be helping everybody.
2:25 pm
that scares me a little when you have to take that back and teach people that self-reliance and achievement is what matters. it's the only thing that makes you feel good. [applause] >> time for last question. right back here. >> hello, greg. >> hi. >> i just got a question. have you already started working on or have any ideas for your next book, actually? >> who told you to ask this question? [laughter] i told you to wait in the car. [laughter] you never listen, do you? i don't know how -- i told you not to let him in. i gave you a picture of him. you were supposed to -- yeah. i'm working on my next book. what some of the stuff that i talked about in here about the cool is going to be what i think my book is going to be about. i think. i don't know yet. or it could be about fuzzy things. [laughter] i really like fuzzy stuff.
2:26 pm
>> very good. >> slippers, cats. you think i'm done yet? [laughter] >> no. >> i could keep going with fluffy stuff. i googled it in this morning. there are 86 million fuzzy things. lint. [laughter] >> okay. while he comets to think of more -- continues to think of more -- >> snowballs. >> can i ask that everyone allow greg to get out this way, because he's going to -- >> winter gloves. >> -- sign your books. so before we give him a round of applause, thank you all so much for coming. thank you. [applause] >> oh, stop it. [cheers and applause] >> you're watching booktv on
2:27 pm
c-span2, 48 hours of nonfiction authors and books every weekend. >> here's some of the top-selling nonfiction titles that independent bookstores around the country according to indiebound.org. this list reflects sales as of december 6th. pulitzer prize-winning journalist john meacham's boyle my of thomas jefferson topped -- biography of thomas jefferson tops the list at number one. anne la not in her book, "help thanks wow." this is second. ina garden is third with her book, barefoot contessa, foolproof. at number four, "i could pee on this." next, bill o'reilly recounts the assassination of john f. kennedy in their book, "killing
2:28 pm
kennedy." at number six, steven colbert presents his plan to get america thriving with his book, "american again." -- america again. william manchester and paul reid in "the last lion." this is seventh. of musician neil young is eighth with his memoir, "waging heavy peace." followed by andrew solomon's book, "far from the tree" about parents with exceptional children. then at tenth, bill o'reilly and martin due guard make the list again with "killing lincoln." you can find more on these bestsellers by going to indiebound.org and clicking on indie bestsellers. >> and now on c-span2, we bring you booktv. 48 hours of nonfiction authors and bookings. here are some of the programs to look out for this weekend. at 5 p.m. eastern a look at nixon and the 1952 election with kevin matteson. his book is just plain dick.
2:29 pm
then at midnight, robert sullivan describes his journey to retrace the steps of the american revolution. and tomorrow in the light of congress discussing the so-called fiscal cliff, at 2 p.m. eastern booktv highlights a few programs about economics. james gustav, steve forbes and george gilder all weigh in. watch this and more all weekend long on booktv. for a complete schedule, visit booktv.org. >> now, from albany, new york, we hear about the state-mandated new york state writer's institute. the program promotes cultural initiatives through author presentations, workshops, film screen things and more -- screenings and more. >> i can see each event just as vividly as i can see the posters before me. i'm donald faulkner, i'm director of the new york state writer's institute, and what we
2:30 pm
do, what i do is kind of herd intellectual cats. we bring a lot of writers through to albany to do readings, we also do a number of other types of programs, events, writing workshops and film series and programs with young writers and a summer institute that we run in saratoga. >> the life of the -- my life in the last few years was, i suppose you'd call it adventurous. but this thing ruined everything. [laughter] >> we go far and wide, find the best writers that we can and bring them to albany. it's like bringing the world to a particular place. and i don't think -- i can't think of any other organization, even some of the better known ones in major cities that have such a regular flow of creative talent coming through and at no cost to the public with our open
2:31 pm
door policy. so we bring the literary world to albany. so all these people whose names, faces and dates, events you see are people who have come from far and wide to read to the general public here. ..
2:32 pm
on the way, archive all of by video and audio all of the people who have come through so we have left a footprint, they have left a footprint, of the institute was founded in 1983, officially became new york state writers institute, in 1984, and over the years we had more than a thousand riders through. >> my sister was a rabid conservative who actually worked at w. spruce convention and couldn't get a room so she ended up having to stay with me and brought a sign she was holding saying w. stands for women. i said you and stay above the sign has to go. >> as a result we have a very
2:33 pm
extensive archive of those riders, readings, interviews with them, we like to think of ourselves as becoming the c-span of literature. we are about to roll out what is in essence a virtual research library of all of these videos and audios we have collected over the years. we are told by many people it is the most thorough archive of contemporary writing that they know of in america. >> one of the things that helps is to be writers ourselves and to know what makes a writer comfortable, to respect a brighter who has come for a visit and not treat that writer like some sort of circus sideshow and to engage that person in conversation. we often like to say joking
2:34 pm
among ourselves we invite riders to dinner and we just have a couple of public events on either side of the dinner or some gathering after one of those public events. what really happens is sitting down and having good conversation brings riders back. is one of the things people most appreciate about the writers institute, riders will be respected as writers. i remember one writer saying you go to some literary reading, you think i am so glad i got through that. let me catch the next plane out. you go to the writers institute and find yourself saying wow, that was good, i hope they invite me back. >> high school teachers take everything across the country,
2:35 pm
instead of seeing sea world and disneyland we visit historic sites. by the time i turned 59 visited jefferson and truman's independence and read the grapes of wrath and visit steinbeck's home and nebraska, and on the road for family vacation three months in a trailer got interested in american history. >> literature becomes a very important thing, community. as one old friend used to say a writer is someone who has readers. i always thought that was a good, simple line, definition of what writer is but that effort of creating through an art form and enhancing that community, enhancing general imagination makes having a riders institutes not only worthwhile thing but a very important one.
2:36 pm
what we have done through the years is we not only exposed people to excellent artwork and riding in particular but educated people and become more discriminating, become more effective judges of what makes something good. people buy books, this is a book loving community and the institute has done all loss and enhanced that. on some level create the environment in which people can explore literature especially. there aren't enough programs like this around the country. i wish there were more. the literary community in albany is quite ridge. we are any feedback loop with it. i don't think such an operation
2:37 pm
as the writers institute could have been created in the first place without there being not only a strong group of writers, in columbia county where a lot of new york city writers have weekend homes all the way up to saratoga and beyond, the writers colony -- the writers' groups in hudson, n.y. east and west into western massachusetts, west to syracuse. that is the audience, sort of circumference we work with so when you go back and you find a general population quite proud of albany's connection to henry james and herman melville or
2:38 pm
bret harte or a little bit further east, emily dickinson or further south, say hi to our old friend walt whitman or edith wharton, when we have this sense of cultural heritage, it helps to amplify the writer's own sense of being part of a larger story, quite important through the whole sense of literary tradition so there is this ridge crowd that is here already and the writers institute comes in and becomes a beacon, a magnetic pull, it becomes a resource if nothing else. it becomes something like -- that feeds the whole system, it
2:39 pm
gives fuel to the fire, and rewarding to see that and encounters that and see people in our writing workshops really catch fire with their own creativity because they have been given stuff to work with, they have been challenged by excellence that they have been able to see themselves. >> albany, new york, is one of the oldest settlements of the original 13 colonies and the longest continuously chartered city in the united states. next, we hear from jack casey whose book tells the story of a mohawk woman born in 66 who was recently named the first native american to enter st. hood. >> "lily of the mohawks" was the name given to young woman who was baptized by the jesuits.
2:40 pm
she took the name catherine. she is called lily of the mohawks because she is seen as blooming in a land from the bloodshed of what preceded her, four in that land in the mohawk valley tenears before she was born so she is a lily that has bloomed out of that spiritual efforts by the jesuits' so she escaped and went up near montreal, st. francis xavier mission. she came to the attention of a priest who was sort of a spiritual refugee from france having his own spiritual dilemma. when he encountered her he saw this incredible spirit to well be that was sort of not expressed and he was able to
2:41 pm
draw it out of her and without her spirituality, heard the devotion to jesus rist helped him heal his own spiritual depth. together was a confluence of spiritual energy which i think it's a love story and the high refined level, a divine line that you or i wouldn't be able to appreciate. they had this union, i suppose, where they circled each other, he observed her and she observed him. when she died at the age of 24 on april 17, 1680, immediately after her death her body was transfigured and there are a two witness accounts which were part of her cause, she has already passed away at 24 and a recluse and only had a couple female
2:42 pm
friends that knew her really well, and she started affecting substantial yours, women in childbirth and that sort of thing and would apply dirt to her grave for pieces of her clothing and burner garments and make tea out of it and drink it, these miracles kept up until about 1760 when the english took canada back or took canada from the french and everything ceased, the jesuits were exelled, they were really suppressed and came back in 1840s and in the 1840s discovered her, had some of the manuscripts out of the archives and rekindled this interest in her and she started affecting yours. the miracle that prompted the
2:43 pm
pope to canonize her, 2005-2006, a native american in the state of washington, playing basketball, hit his whip on the basketball hoop and was affected with the flesh eating bacteria and if you go online uconn google her name or his name, they have pictures of him in the throes of this malady. he survived. his surgeons were miraculously in the way they could graft skin to cover what was eaten by the bacteria and they attribute his survival, is curator intercession. that was verified. they have a battery of physicians to verify that these are super -- paranormal whatever
2:44 pm
occurrences that could only come from above and they verified that and the process is still somewhat slow. thatas 2005 or 2006. they decided to canonize her last year, december of 2011. they put it forward on october 21st, 2012. and novelized biography is something where you take the facts and try to tell stories, and you try to get the psychology we can respect because we are alive and people we have known, and we know our own inner heart and try to make it real in a way that is sympathetic. i don't mean soft, i mean sympathetic as in that is true in a deeper way than
disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 12/8/2012
Views
105